History of Our School
Gaelscoil Longfoirt was founded in 1998 with 20 students and was temporarily located in Auburn Court, Harbour Row until we moved to a prefabricated building in the grounds of Slashers GAA Club, Farneyhoogan in October 2005. Gaelscoil Longfoirt is a coeducational Catholic School and there are presently over 200 Pupils, 8 Class Teachers, a Learning Support Teacher, a Resource Teacher , another part-time Resource Teacher, a Classroom Assistant, a Secretary and a Principal working in Gaelscoil Longfoirt.
Gaelscoil Longfoirt is fully recognised, funded and inspected by the Department of Education. Gaelscoil Longfoirt offers you a comprehensive well balanced curriculum that allows each child to develop to their own potential within a secure environment.
By the time they leave Gaelscoil Longfoirt, the children will be able to speak, read and write in both Irish and English fluently. They will also have the advantage of speaking two languages and of being ‘bi-lingual’.
What are the advantages?
- The Irish Language is the everyday language of the school.
- The child will grow up bilingual, knowing two languages from an early age: Irish and English.
- The child acquires fluency in a natural relaxed atmosphere increasing their ability to adapt to European Languages.
- Being bilingual from an early age enhances the learning process. It also develops mental and thinking ability.
- Gaelscoil Longfoirt opens the door to a multilingual world.
What can Gaelscoil Longfoirt offer your child?
- The opportunity to learn Irish fluently at an early age.
- An integrated comprehensive computer and ICT curriculum.
- Swimming to all classes including infant classes.
- Full Primary curriculum is implemented including Art, Crafts, PE, Sport.
- Modern well equipped classrooms.
- A large and safe play area.
- Oral French classes from fourth class.
- Tin whistle classes.